Re: [exim] Valid Chars in Headers of Emails

Author: Craig Whitmore
To: W B Hacker, exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] Valid Chars in Headers of Emails
> I have just cut'n pasted that subject, '®' included, and sent it via a
> non-Exim
> MX in Zurich thru an Exim MX in Hong Kong, MUA Mozilla on Mac OS X in
> Virginia
> at both ends, and nary a problem.

Maybe not a problem.. but if people "break the rules".....

Most MUA's I've found will do the proper encoding , checking the reject
logs, there are very little which actually get rejected becuase of this, as
most messages are encoded properly and don't have non-ascii chars in the
headers. The number of messages rejected is less than 50 a day (out of tens
of thousands a day on the particular server)

> Header shows encoding as UTF-8, though. Not iso-8/859-1
>
> Your ruleset will block a great of 'pragmatically allowable' message
> traffic,
> even if you think the whole universe ends at US borders and runs only on
> US-Windows.
>
> Either of which would be an odd stance for a Kiwi.

I've found only a very few false possitives and even hotmail/yahoo does it
wrong sometimes encoding the subject properly, but leaving the To unencoded
and vica versa.

I have emailed microsoft/yahoo (does anyone know the proper people to email
at these places) about the problem.

Thanks