Re: [exim] getting auth to work under cygwin

Author: W B Hacker
To: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] getting auth to work under cygwin
Zbigniew Szalbot wrote:

> Hello,
>
> On 4 Aug 2006 at 15:43, W B Hacker wrote:
>

>>Do not try to run a 'public facing' MTA unless you have a fixed IP address with
>>'PTR' and 'MX' records as well as an 'A' record. Your ISP Terms and Conditions
>>must also permit running a mail server. Many do not.
>>
>>Show evidence of understanding and responsibility and you will find lots of help
>>here.
>

> Ouch that hurt :) but I take your point. Just to give you a little background. It is not that I
> know nothing about mail servers, DNS, relaying, etc. I have been running mail server under
> windows for a long time and it currently handles about about 17K messages per day.

Fine as far as it goes. Win-tools may not integrate securely, but they do integrate.

Mixing *n*x tools with WinWoes is another matter entirely.

I have toured Poland in a RHD car built for English highways, but cannot
recommend it, especially since traffic in both directions follows the best
pavement, not any particular side of the road.

;-)

- hybrids will be missing an entire layer of 'native' networking and security tools.

- your learning-curve for the hybrid will be *way* longer than either toolset
taken alone.

> I am thinking of changing it to use exim under FreeBSD but I wanted to test and see. Until
> now I haven't head a separate box to test and I would hate to mess with the production
> server. Now that I have one I wanted to look at things using cygwin with the plan of moving
> later the whole mailing system under some flavor of linux. I am willing to learn. I am just
> trying to create a test system and see how it operates, what challenges lay ahead, etc. FYI -
> even for the test box I have all things cofigured correctly with revdns, etc.

'Flavor' of Linux takes in a whole 'nuther universe.

It will be so easy to just go ahead and set up the FreeBSD+Exim box you will
probably go away grumbing at the time already wasted on cygin & friends.

Our servers run FreeBSD 4.X on single-CPU units, FreeBSD 6.1X on dual-core,
Exim, Dovecot, (recommended as a good fit), plus MaraDNS, and PostgreSQL (not
necessarily what you will want) - all from the ports tree and/or the tarball
when the ports are a rev or so behind.

> If you think you can still help me, please do. I do not want to try first by installing FreeBSD
> because there will be many more challenges to face even before implementing a mail server.
> This test setup is purely for the purpose of watching the system under vairous load and
> seeing what else I need to think of.

You can take for granted that any decent Linux distro, or any *BSD will handle
several times the load a WinBox can handle on the same hardware, *expecially* if
you leave GUI and multimedia off the box (always hard to do with WinWoes,
generally troublesome with Linux, but 'standard' with *BSD).

That's a road *very* well traveled, and well worth the modest investment in
learning how to do it well.

For any *BSD, and most Linux other-than-Debian-with-CPanel, all the advice and
archives found here are prety much directly useful.

Debian+Cpanel marches to a unique drumbeat, and has its own Exim list

HTH,

Bill Hacker