Re: [exim] large queues

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Heiko Schlichting
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] large queues
On Sat, 29 Jul 2006, Heiko Schlichting wrote:

> Is it really that hard? Maybe just adding an additional level in the queue
> directory hierarchy could to this thing. Instead
>
>     {input,msglog}/[a-zA-Z0-9]/

> it could be
>
>     {input,msglog}/$prio/[a-zA-Z0-9]/

The Wish List item says essentially the same thing - though I think I
suggested input-0, input-1, etc rather than another level.

> Ok, this is not *that* easy but does not sound like a "major re-design" for
> me. Philip does add more advanced things from the wishlist every month
> which I really appreciate.

We may differ in how we judge things. *I* think this is pretty major. It
affects a lot of different parts of Exim (even the format of some of the
hints data) and also utilities such as eximon. Log lines would be
affected (people would want to know which queue a message was on) and so
eximstats and other log-line processors would be affected. New command
line options would be required to move messages from queue to queue and
to start queue runners on different queues, and no doubt other things
that I haven't thought of. It's "major" for me not so much because the
underlying idea is particularly tricky, but because it touches so many
different things, and some of them are certain to be overlooked. And of
course this also means it touches a lot of different places in the
documentation.

Thank you for your flattery in your final sentence, but I have to
disagree! :-)