Re: [exim] large queues

Páxina inicial
Borrar esta mensaxe
Responder a esta mensaxe
Autor: Peter D. Gray
Para: exim-users
Asunto: Re: [exim] large queues
On Fri, Jul 28, 2006 at 09:54:51AM +0100, Philip Hazel wrote:
> On Fri, 28 Jul 2006, Peter D. Gray wrote:
>
> > I am about to implement an exim configuration whereby mail
> > tagged as spam by our gateways (not exim) is
> > frozen in the queues for later delivery. I intend to
> > deliver it at night. I use the queue_only option to
> > put all mail into the queue in any case, and I have
> > qrunners which perform actual delivery. The spam
> > mail will be frozen by a global filter.
> >
> > Obviously, the size of the mail queue is about to get
> > real large. I anticipate having 20K to 100K messages
> > in the queue. I am running the split_queue_directory option.
>
> Exim was never designed to operate efficiently with large queues. The
> whole philosophy was to move mail quickly without hanging on to it. In
> our environment, fewer than 5% of messages have to be retried. (See
> chapter 3 of my book. Or you should have come on my course last week.
> Oh, I see you are in .au; a bit far. :-) Of course, 5% of our volume is
> nowadays a lot more messages than it was 11 years ago when I first
> thought of Exim.

Yes, and spam is completely out of control now and I see everyone
desperately searching for solutions no matter how bizarre.
And this is leading to email systems being used in ways they
were never intended. I do understand the problem.

> If you do as you suggest, you are going to be mixing two different
> kinds of message in the same queue: those you are holding on to and
> those that are having delivery problems. This makes the administration
> harder.

Hmmmmmmmm.... would it be possible to simply rename the -H files
to -F when a message is frozen. That way it would be fast
to ignore frozen messages without the overhead of an open
and read.

> > It would be nice if exim understood anternate queues, that
> > way I could use the filter action to change the mail
> > queue and freeze at the same time (RFE please).
>
> There is a Wish List item about his, but as it is a major re-design, it
> ain't going to happen quickly, if at all.

The option of using the file names to reflect message state might
be an easier change and might offer significant performance gains
when processing queues.

> I suggest you treat this in a similar way to storing mail for dial-up
> hosts. The advice I give for this is to deliver such messages in BSMTP
> format into files (per user, per domain, or whatever). In the dial-up
> situation, this allows you to limit the volume, time out individual
> messages, etc.
>
> Then shovel them back into Exim using -bS when you want them delivered,
> with an appropriate indication (e.g. protocol setting) so they don't end
> up back in files again.

I will think about this, thanks.

Regards,
pdg

--

See mail headers for contact information.