[exim] large queues

Autor: Peter D. Gray
A: exim-users
Assumpte: [exim] large queues
I am about to implement an exim configuration whereby mail
tagged as spam by our gateways (not exim) is
frozen in the queues for later delivery. I intend to
deliver it at night. I use the queue_only option to
put all mail into the queue in any case, and I have
qrunners which perform actual delivery. The spam
mail will be frozen by a global filter.

Obviously, the size of the mail queue is about to get
real large. I anticipate having 20K to 100K messages
in the queue. I am running the split_queue_directory option.

It would be nice if exim understood anternate queues, that
way I could use the filter action to change the mail
queue and freeze at the same time (RFE please).

My question I guess is just how the size of the queue
will impact the qrunner performance. For example,
can it tell without reading the files in the queue
that a message is frozen? Or will it have to open
and read each file just to ignore it if it is frozen?
It would be nice is the files did not need to be
opened and read.

If this is going to be a big problem, I will
need to move items out of the queue that are frozen
and move them back in later (or have an alternate
config with the different queue).

Has anybody done anything like this?

Regards,
pdg

--

See mail headers for contact information.