Re: [exim-dev] RFC: implementing 551-redirection (client sid…

Author: Magnus Holmgren
To: exim-dev
Subject: Re: [exim-dev] RFC: implementing 551-redirection (client side)
On Tuesday 25 July 2006 10:33, Philip Hazel took the opportunity to write:
> On Tue, 25 Jul 2006, Magnus Holmgren wrote:
> > Has anyone suggested doing callouts during routing? I'm thinking of a new
> > router that works similarly to the redirect router but uses SMTP calls
> > instead of lookups.
>
> ... but you would have to do all the other routing first, in order to
> find out where to do the callout, so I'm not sure how this would fit in.

No ... this is a different callout. Sender and recipient callout verification
works by routing the address in question to see if it ends up remote, and if
so, do_callout() makes an SMTP call to that remote host, right?

I was thinking of a cross between dnslookup and redirect (and one between
manualroute and redirect, so maybe it's better to build this functionality
directly into both routers). Instead of (or in addition to) routing an
address and then doing the callout, each remote router has to call
do_callout() as part of routing.

But as 551 replies will be very rare it makes more sense to handle them at
transport time only. Still ... what do you do with a 551 during callout
verification (sender or recipient)?

--
Magnus Holmgren        holmgren@???
                       (No Cc of list mail needed, thanks)