[exim] Using a router's unseen option and preventing the mes…

Author: Stephan Bosch
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] Using a router's unseen option and preventing the message from bouncing lateron
Hello,

I currently use something like the following configuration for my exim
4.50 mail setup with virtual hosting:

# All administrative mail adresses are tapped. This means that the
# system administrator always receives a copy of the message regardless
# of the domain it is being sent to and whether or not the address
# exists within the domain or not. This makes sure every domain accepts
# these messages properly as required. And, when the owner of
# the addressed domain wants to, he can receive this message as well
# through the normal routers that follow this one.
sysadmin:
     driver = redirect
     local_parts = postmaster:abuse:root
     data = admin@???
     unseen = yes

This does what it is supposed to do: these messages are always Bcc'ed to
the system administrator. However, a problem arises when the
administrative address does not actually exist within the given domain.
The delivery to the administrator is successful, but the routers
hereafter fail due to the fact that the mail address does not exist.
This produces a bounce message sent to the sender of the original
message (reporting 'Unrouteable address') and thus the sender will think
his message was sent in vain. But, it was actually received successfully
by the administrator.

So, I'm wondering whether there is a way to prevent the bounce message
from being sent when it is accepted (copied) by this router. It is nice
when the message is also delivered to the actual owner of the domain,
but it is not important to the sender of the message and failure at this
point should really not cause this confusion.

I have plowed through the exim4 documentation, but I couldn't find
anything useful. Any help is very much appreciated.

Regards,

--
Stephan Bosch
stephan@???