[exim] DOS attack. What to do?

Author: Gururajan Ramachandran
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] DOS attack. What to do?
Hello,

It appears we are under a DOS attack. I see a bunch of
"refused: too many connections" and people attempting
to send email get "421...too many SMTP...". Running
"exiwhat" shows a bunch of "handling" lines from many
IP addresses (diverse IP addresses). Searching the
internet, I could not locate specific solutions to
this problem. Can someone out there who has dealt with
this provide some advise on how I can proceed to
correct this situation? Would Exim4 options such as
"sender = verify" make a difference in this situation?

Thanks,

Guru