Re: [exim] Exim out front, exim and exchange internal

Author: Jason Meers
To: Derrick MacPherson
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Exim out front, exim and exchange internal
Derrick MacPherson wrote:
> We have exim out front scanning mail, internally we have exim and
> exchange, with an application pulling email using POP out of the exim
> server. I'm looking for some suggestions as to how to get the email to
> deliver to the correct server. I know I could create a text file with a
> list of users, but I'm looking for something more elegant. Any
> suggestions?

Hi Derrick,

Tony is right, LDAP probably is the most elegant way of doing this,
however if you are running Exchange 2003 you can get it to do recipient
verification against each of your servers in turn until you find a match
and accept the message or dont find a match and then fail/drop the message.

As I said this is not as elegant as LDAP lookups but it is simpler to
implement if you get scared by lots of curly braces like I do.

Thanks
Jason Meers

How to enable a recipient filter in Exchange 2003

This information was originally provided by David S. Madole

1. Open Exchange System Manager.
2. Open Global Settings, right-click on Message Delivery, choose
Properties.
3. Choose the Recipient Filtering tab.
4. Check the box Filter recipients who are not in the Directory.
5. Click OK to close.

Enable the recipient filter on the SMTP protocol binding that accepts
mail from the Internet:

1. Navigate to the SMTP Virtual Server that listens on the Internet
(repeat all of these steps if you have more than one).
2. Right-click on the SMTP Virtual Server, choose Properties.
3. On the General tab (already open), click the Advanced... button next
to IP address.
4. Choose the IP/port binding that corresponds to the one that listens
on
the Internet. Click the Edit... button.
5. Click the check box next to Apply Recipient Filter.
6. Click OK to close.