Re: [exim] [exim-dev] JUts a little question

Author: Magnus Holmgren
To: exim-users
CC: luc michalski
Subject: Re: [exim] [exim-dev] JUts a little question
On Sunday 23 July 2006 23:32, luc michalski took the opportunity to write:
> I just want to ask you if there is a way to erase email addresses from a
> MySQL database when Exim send me an error message because the address is
> not reachable ?

I'd say yes, it is possible to detect when a bounce comes directly from your
own Exim (and thus can be trusted), BUT often bounces are delayed and sent by
the remote mail server. Those bounces can't be trusted even when they can be
parsed, so it's still necessary to use and handle some form of (moderately
secure) VERPs.

(Permanent) bounces messages generated by Exim have the header field
locally-generated bounce messages with a flag that is written to the spool
file but doesn't make that flag available as an expansion variable AFAIKT, so
the best way of recognizing such local bounce would probably be by checking
whether $authenticated_id is the Exim user together with
$h_X-Failed-Recipients: (and making sure that no other messages submitted by
as Exim user contain that header field.

--
Magnus Holmgren        holmgren@???
                       (No Cc of list mail needed, thanks)