Re: [exim] My DNS Spam and White Lists are Ready for Testing

Author: David Saez Padros
To: David Saez Padros, Marc Perkel, exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] My DNS Spam and White Lists are Ready for Testing
Hi !!

>> available via dns so i wrote a letter to the spanish data protection
>> agency asking if it was legal to do so or not. They clearly answered that i
>> could make such a list only for private use and that is is
>> illegal to share with others without prior explicit permission from the
>> user of each ip address.
>
> That sounds like a pretty bizarre. How do the mail servers based in .es use
> RBL's? By the sounds of it, any RBL based out of .es face this same
> problem..no?

yes, it's very bizarre :( as there is no specific european directive
or local law that regulates this, all of this depends on the
interpretation done by the data protection agency. I have the same
question also about dns queries and running a public recursive dns
server. What they say is that when the users connects to your system
you are allowed to store and use that ip address to provide the service
the user is connecting to and to protect your servers for being abused
(also there is a specific law that obligates each service provider to
keep all the logs for a specific time period). Maybe it could be
moe than possible that quering a blacklist could be considered as
'protecting your servers' (altough it implies transferring personal
data to countries with lower data protection guarantees).

--
Best regards ...

    On-Line Services 2000 S.L.       e-mail  david@???
    Pintor Vayreda 1                 telf    +34 902 50 29 75
    08184 Palau-Solita i Plegamans   movil   +34 670 35 27 53