Re: [exim] My DNS Spam and White Lists are Ready for Testing

Author: Marc Perkel
To: Chris Lightfoot
CC: David Saez Padros, exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] My DNS Spam and White Lists are Ready for Testing

Chris Lightfoot wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 22, 2006 at 06:45:19AM -0700, Marc Perkel wrote:
>
>> David Saez Padros wrote:
>>
>>>                                    I just need the IP address of the
>>> server and if it is spam or nonspam", actually the spanish data
>>> protection agency, based on european directives, considers ip addresses
>>> as personal data, which means that they cannot be transferred to any
>>> third party without previous consent of the user attached to the ip.

>     [...]

>> I'm not asking for the IP address of the end user. It's the IP address
>> of the host server. This is about tracking the karma of host servers,
>> not end users.
>>

> yes, David is correct; in general, IP addresses may be
> personal data, and therefore must be processed in
> accordance with the data protection principles.

But - repeating myself again - it's not the IP address of the sender's
computer. It's the IP address of the smtp host. Although if the person's
computer were a virus infected zombie it would be their computer.
However, when you do an RBL looking youare sending the same information
to all the block lists that you use.