Re: [exim] at what point does exim generate a message ID?

Author: B. Johannessen
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] at what point does exim generate a message ID?
Ian P. Christian wrote:
> rejected. Other then moving the HELO checking to be called from
> check_message ACL, is there a way I can get exim to generate an ID on
> connect ?

Exim needs to generate a new message ID for each message it receives,
and it may receive more then one message per connection. It therefore
doesn't make much sense to generate the message ID at the HELO/EHLO
point in the conversation.

It would however make sense to do it at each MAIL step, and there is
currently a wish-list item for this:

(329) 12-May-05 S Create message ID at MAIL FROM time

Currently, the ID is created only when Exim is about to create the data (-D)
file for an incoming message. In other words, after it knows it really
is going
to accept the message. Creating the ID earlier would mean that rejection
messages in the log would be tagged with an ID, and this is seen as
desirable
by some people.

    Bob