Re: [exim] Questions about "Line too long"

Author: Jonas Meurer
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Questions about "Line too long"
On 21/07/2006 Steffen Heil wrote:
> Hi
>
> > > AFAIK, no line may be longer then 1000 chars in SMTP....
> >
> > But headers may have whitespace folding...
>
> I know, but the message was "500 5.6.1 Line too long", not "500 5.6.1
> Subject too long" or "500 5.6.1 Header too long".

i don't think that the error message does really say what it means. with
subject lines that have 17000 chars, t-online gives exactly this error:
500 5.6.1 Header too long.

so i doubt that a body line is the reason for the error. i found out
now, that the newletter is sent to more than 1000 addresses. maybe
t-online really creates a header line with all recipients listed, and
this one for sure has more than 17000 chars, cause most email addresses
are longer than 17 characters.

i will investigate this and post more infos here.

jonas