Re: [exim] Need a little unix help

Author: Marc Perkel
To: W B Hacker
CC: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] Need a little unix help

W B Hacker wrote:
> Marc Perkel wrote:
>
>> Some of you I'm srue are experts at this. I can probably get something
>> to work but I want to do it right. And it's fairly simple.
>>
>> What I want to do is create a simple client/server application where
>> clients running Exim can easily report IP addresses to the server.
>> The server will accept the IP addresses and execute a command to add the IP
>> address to a MySQL database and increment a counter. What I'm
>> specifically doing is counting spam/ham based on IP address. But - if I
>> can just receive the IP address I'll figure put how to process it.
>>
>> I have xinentd if that maes things easy.
>>
>> On the client side I want to in an efficient way be able to pass a
>> string containing the IP address to the server. Maybe talk to an open port?
>>
>> So - what's the simplest way to accomplish this?
>>

> It seems you would want near-real-time posting of those IP.
>
> Since you said that your 'target' is a MySQL DB, you might want to simply use
> SQL to write them directly into the DB from within an acl.
>
> There are examples available in SQL greylisting code - not cut-and-paste usable,
> but which you should be able to readily adapt to your needs.
>
> An Exim MACRO from Toleff Fog Heen is illustrative of the 'INSERT' code concept:
>
> GRAYLIST_ADD  = INSERT INTO relaytofrom (relay_ip, from_domain) \
>                   VALUES ( '${quote_mysql:$sender_host_address}', \
>                   '${quote_mysql:$sender_address_domain}')

> One might add timestamps and an autoincrementing 'serial' field, then a trigger
> on the count if MySQL has triggers Else PostgreSQL sells for the same price, and
> does have.
>
> Note that 'read' privileges are not enough, so make sure that any other SQL code
> is resistant to exploits that could modify the DB improperly.
>
> I suspect this would run faster if you used something simpler than an SQL DB.

Thanks Bill,

I have that now - but what I want to do is give other people a simple
way to send me IP addresses in real time. I dont want to give the direct
access to my database and provide them with passwords and query strings.
What I want to do is to have them do something simple like write a
string to a port and I'll handle the processing on my end with something
that listens on that port, gets the string, and runs the MySQL on my end.

I have this new system working for me and I want to make it public. But
to do that I need to make it easy for people to send me their data. I
think I have the server side of it working. Still testing. So what I
need now is an easy way for Exim to open a port and send a string to it.
Right now the best I have is running netcat (nc) but would like
something cleaner.