Re: [exim] Using TLS to encrypt SMTP traffic...

Αρχική Σελίδα
Συντάκτης: Marc Sherman
Ημερομηνία:
Προς: Marc Sherman
Υ/ο: exim-users
Αντικείμενο: Re: [exim] Using TLS to encrypt SMTP traffic...
Marc Sherman wrote:
> W B Hacker wrote:
>> Ancient history now. Like it or not, we should move on and use 587.
>
> That's all well and good, Bill, and if you simply advised people not to
> open port 465 at all, I wouldn't reply. It's your repeated advise to
> people to open 465 for unencrypted/STARTTLS usage, against all
> established historical practice, to which I object.

Whoops, I guess I owe Bill a bit of an apology -- I was mis-remembering
history here. It's actually your repeated use of tls_on_connect on port
587 that so aggravates me. You're welcome to do whatever you want on
your own server, but please do not advise others to configure
tls_on_connect on port 587 on this list without clearly noting that you
are doing something non-standard and against common practice.

Anyway, sorry about the mixup.

- Marc