Re: [exim] Using TLS to encrypt SMTP traffic...

Góra strony
Autor: W B Hacker
Dla: exim users
Temat: Re: [exim] Using TLS to encrypt SMTP traffic...
xyon wrote:

> Whoops, terribly sorry. I just saw this post further down. I don't tend to
> use 587, but stick to 465. I think that's what most people do.

Feel free to ignore Bill Hacker, but the IANA and IETF are more pervasive:

http://www.iana.org/

Port 587 - currently the officially recommended port for user-client submission,
is covered here - not that port 25 is still OK too - though many ISP's will
block or divert it:

http://www.ietf.org

http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc4409.txt

- Section 7 has a table of smtp extensions, listing STARTTLS as a 'MAY'.

- Security issues are covered in Section 9, with back-references to Section 3.

- Section 3 mentions other security methods, including IPSEC and SSL tunneling.

The above will take maybe ten minutes to find and read.

Other RFCs referenced take longer.

The very long history behind it all, if you care, needs the better part of a day
to track down and read.

Exim is fully capable of compliance with all applicable standards - old or new.

BTW, if you don't *like* what IANA and IETF have to say, standard practice is to
attack the messenger.

No sweat, I have broad shoulders.

;-)

  "With all thy getting, get thee understanding"
        B. C. Forbes

Regards,

Bill Hacker