Re: [exim] Using TLS to encrypt SMTP traffic...

Author: W B Hacker
To: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] Using TLS to encrypt SMTP traffic...
Heiko Schlittermann wrote:

> Hello,
>
> W B Hacker <wbh@???> (Do 20 Jul 2006 00:10:34 CEST):
>
> just to be more specific (accurate?)
>

>>Typical settings include:
>>
>>daemon_smtp_ports = 25 : 465 : 587
>

> Typical clients use START_TLS on port 25, but tls-on-connect on 465
> (what about 587?). So with the above setting I'd strongly recommend
>
> tls_on_connect_ports = 465
>

> Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Only for the past 5+ months.

;-)

>     Best regards from Dresden
>     Viele Grüße aus Dresden
>     Heiko Schlittermann

AFAIK port 465 remains available in nearly all common MUA's, and is the default
if legacy 'SSL' is selected for smtp submission, rahter than 'TLS'.

However, port 465 was reassigned to a Cisco-sponsored service WEF February 2006
- one that has nothing to do with smtp:

urd             465/tcp    URL Rendesvous Directory for SSM (Cisco)
igmpv3lite      465/udp    IGMP over UDP for SSM

Which leaves 587 is the only 'official' submission port now:

submission    587/tcp    Submission
submission    587/udp    Submission
#               [RFC4409]

Bill