Re: [exim] exim exploit or configuration problem

Página Principal
Apagar esta mensagem
Responder a esta mensagem
Autor: W B Hacker
Para: exim users
Assunto: Re: [exim] exim exploit or configuration problem
Peter Bowyer wrote:
> On 10/07/06, Bridgit Griffin (Withers) <bridgit@???> wrote:

>>Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2006 23:07:10 -0400 (EDT)
>>Date-warning: Date header was inserted by ms-mta-04.nyroc.rr.com
>>From: postmaster@???
>>Subject: Re: hi
>>To: postmaster@???

> Is 'colonichealth.net' your domain?

Apparently so, as WHOIS lists the OP as technical contact..

> If so, you're seeing very simple
> forged-header spam. Your provider could soup up their exim config to
> do extra checking before accepting incoming mail which forges its own
> domains.
>
> Note that this is spam forged as coming from you - but when the
> spammer connects to the next victim, the spam will be forged as coming
> from that victim - there's no evidence of using your provider's server
> to relay spam in your name.

None so far provided, anyway...

> I don't know what box of tricks injects those X-AntiAbuse: headers, it
> isn't vanilla Exim - but whatever it is, it looks like it's being
> fooled by the forged spam. Have you spoken to the owner of the server?
>
> Peter

Similar traffic we have analyzed indicate that headers of that sort are often
applied by the originating spam 'engine'.

One supposes this is an attempt to confuse amateur backtracking, and/or provide
a false sense of security / encourage opening the message & 'payload'.

IF the user's MUA is even set to display 'all headers' (rare, that...)

Bill