Re: [exim] SMTP Transport: hosts rewriting

Author: christian meutes
To: jori.hamalainen, exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] SMTP Transport: hosts rewriting
> Third option could be using /etc/hosts file to resolve name records to IP
> addresses. So insert hosts you are not able to reach from your cluster
> (if there is very limited number) to /etc/hosts. Then you configure
> nsswitch.conf file to search files first, then DNS.
>
> What I am hoping (this is untested), your Exim searches MX-records for
> domain's mail hosts. Because of nsswitch configuration then host records
> should be first mapped to IP addresses via /etc/hosts, if that fails then
> back to DNS.

Jeah, as you already mentioned this way only works, if its always the same
MX-
record, as soon as it will change there is the need for a further A mapping
for this MX too.
The dnsdb way has the same problem:
foo:
driver = manualroute
transport = special_destination
condition = "${if eq {$special_MX} { ${lookup dnsdb{mx=$domain}} } {1}
{0}}"

cheers,

Christian Meutes
systems engineer