Re: [exim] SMTP Transport: hosts rewriting

Autor: jori.hamalainen
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] SMTP Transport: hosts rewriting
>> > Is there a reason why you're not doing this with a manualroute
>> > router instead ?
>>
>> No, i just havent any idea how to do this with a router...

>Most non-DNS routing issues in Exim can be handled with a manualroute router, which implements "send this domain to that >host" rules.
>If you *really* do have to change one IP address into another, there is the translate_ip_address option.

Third option could be using /etc/hosts file to resolve name records to IP addresses. So insert hosts you are not able to reach from your cluster (if there is very limited number) to /etc/hosts. Then you configure nsswitch.conf file to search files first, then DNS.

What I am hoping (this is untested), your Exim searches MX-records for domain's mail hosts. Because of nsswitch configuration then host records should be first mapped to IP addresses via /etc/hosts, if that fails then back to DNS.

Regards,
Jori