Re: [exim] line [x/y] splitting - conf option?

Author: Chris Lightfoot
To: Rob Munsch
CC: Exim users list
Subject: Re: [exim] line [x/y] splitting - conf option?
On Thu, Jul 06, 2006 at 11:47:27AM -0400, Rob Munsch wrote:
> Chris Lightfoot wrote:
>
> >On Thu, Jul 06, 2006 at 11:23:10AM -0400, Rob Munsch wrote:
> >

> >>Is there no way to accomplish this option
> >>without recompiling the production mailserver..?
> >>

> >Looking at the code, no: (log.c in 4.62)
> >
> >...recompiling is probably easier.
> >

> Not so much... these are debian-stable systems. i guess i could pester
> the maintainer and ask him to provide an official stable release
> variation for every compile-only option, but i fear he may throw my
> server rack at me.

They're unlikely to be sympathetic to a call for it to be
made non-standards-compliant :-/

You could do a patch to make it run-time configurable, but
sadly that's rather unlikely to make it into Debian stable
either. I fear you'll have to build a package locally (not
too painful, despite the best efforts of the dpkg
maintainers).

    [...]

> when 2 messages have the same number of /lines; and since it's all going
> to a db, each line is in a new row rather than the entire message
> residing in one field...
>
> I'd log the PIDs to keep track but that's a compile-time option too ,-)

hmm... exim on Debian stable here logs its PID....

--
``I went into the Army for two years, and America's free today,
so I think I did a good job.'' (Tom Lehrer, on conscription)