Re: [exim] Testing retry rules

Author: Dave Evans
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Testing retry rules
On Thu, Jul 06, 2006 at 02:36:59PM +0100, Philip Hazel wrote:
> On Thu, 6 Jul 2006, Dave Evans wrote:
>
> > begin retry
> >
> >   !*@+relay_domains      * senders=: F,1h,15m
> >   *                      *           F,2h,15m; G,16h,1h,1.5; F,14d,6h

> The use of negation in retry rule patterns is not something I had ever
> considered. However, looking at the code, it seems that the pattern is
> treated as a one-item list, and negation should work. Let's assume it
> does for now. (I've made a note to check this out later, and document
> accordingly.)

It does, but the source of my problem was that I forgot that it was tested
twice (address, then host name). So when the address is
whatever@???, !*@+relay_domains doesn't match the address
(good), but it /does/ match the host name (oops). So the rule fires anyway.

> However, the problem is probably that the "senders" parameter doesn't
> operate the way you think it does. (It doesn't operate the way *I*
> thought it did, even when I implemented it. :-( )
> I don't think you can use "senders" sensibly other than with an error
> such as rcpt_4xx, which involves something other than the host.

Hmmm. OK, thanks for that - I'll go and do some more reading and pondering.

--
Dave Evans
Power Internet

PGP key: http://powernet.co.uk/~davide/pgpkey