Re: [exim] Retry problems.

Autor: Marc Sherman
A: exim-users
CC: David Woodhouse
Assumpte: Re: [exim] Retry problems.
Philip Hazel wrote:

> So, once the expired bit has been set in the retry record, it can be
> cleared if you change the retry rules, but only after a delivery has
> been attempted and deferred. As far as actually running the next
> delivery is concerned, the address is still 'expired', and this may
> cause a bounce without a delivery attempt.
>
> If you had put the retry rule in the right place, I think all would have
> been well if you'd done it before expiry. If after, some mail would have
> bounced but once a delivery had happened, it would have recovered.
>
> To change of any of this is a major project which I don't think is
> urgent enough to warrant looking at at this time. OK?

A relatively simple solution/workaround might be to store a hash of the
complete set of retry rules, and if a change is detected, clear out the
retry database. It would still be wrong, but at least it would err on
the side of retrying instead of bouncing.

At the very least, the FAQ should suggest manually clearing the retry
database whenever retry rules are modified.

- Marc