[exim] DESTDIR handling and config file

Autor: Thomas Hühn
A: exim-users
Assumpte: [exim] DESTDIR handling and config file
Hi

I obviously don't get how DESTDIR is supposed to work. Or the install
script is buggy, but surely many people have used it before me. :-)

I'm currently trying to install Exim 4.62 into /opt/exim, with
everything that is Exim-related underneath that directory.

So I have this in Local/Makefile:

"CONFIGURE_FILE=/etc/configure"

I do a "make" and a "make DESTDIR=/opt/exim INSTALL_ARG=-n install" and see

": Installing default configuration in /opt/exim/etc/configure
: because there is no existing configuration file."

So far, so good.

"make DESTDIR=/opt/exim install"

/opt/exim/etc/configure exists.

If I now try a "./exim -bV" in /opt/exim/bin I get

"2006-07-04 16:38:45 non-existent configuration file(s): /etc/configure"

Surprise, surprise.

Okay, let's try it the other way:

"CONFIGURE_FILE=/opt/exim/etc/configure"

Now the file is installed in /etc/opt/exim/opt/exim/etc/configure, but
exim looks for /opt/exim/etc/configure

I can copy that file around, but which of the two variations should I
use, so that Exim finds everything it needs (spool, logs etc) where it
expects it?

Thomas