Re: [exim] Exim 4 config question

Author: Chris Lightfoot
To: W B Hacker
CC: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] Exim 4 config question
On Tue, Jul 04, 2006 at 06:27:40PM +0800, W B Hacker wrote:
> Chris Lightfoot wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Jul 03, 2006 at 06:43:43PM +0200, Anthony wrote:
> >
> >>Hello.
> >>
> >>In order to prevent spam, I'd like Exim 4 (I run Debian) to reject
> >>incoming mail
> >>if sender's domain doesn't exist.
> >>What should be modified in the configuration files for this ?
> >

> > you could switch on callout verification of senders, which
> > will test that the sender's address is deliverable, rather
> > than just that their domain exists -- add,
> >
> >     require verify = sender/callout

> > to the MAIL ACL. You could also check just that the
> > domain-part of the address exists with the dns lookup at
> > the same point, but I haven't an example to hand.
> >

> This can result in a rather high 'false positive' rejection if
> you use a 'hard' test, and for any of several reasons:
>
> - many 'major' ISP's utilize 'pools' or clusters of servers,
> often arranged as 'incoming' and 'outbound'. Your users may have
> correspondents form many such. Or not.

-- not sure what this one means (the sender verification
callout will be routed as for a real mail, and so will go
to the advertised MXs for the recipient). The others are
fair points.

At the moment I'm switching on `hard' sender verification
on new installations, but on existing ones using it to
annotate mail with headers which can then be read by a
downstream statistical filter, so as not to break any
existing arrangements. A surprisingly large fraction of
mail lacks a verifiable sender, and it's not really
acceptable to demand that existing users adapt. In new
installations it's probably reasonable, at the moment.

The other things to say of course are (a) the extra cost
of the sender verification callouts may not be justified,
especially as on some remote systems the work of routing
such a delivery may be large; and (b) once everyone is
doing it the spammers will presumably figure out that they
need to put verifiable sender addresses into their mail.
Once that happens we could all turn off verification and
avoid all the wasted bandwidth and disk seeks, but of
course in practice this won't happen and it will become
fossilised into MTA configurations everywhere.

As a rough poll, out of the 3407 spams and viruses I've
received since about one o'clock yesterday, 1576 had
verifiable senders at SMTP time, 1453 definitely bad
senders, and the rest gave temporary failure errors; so
about 50% here. Out of real mail since Sunday morning,
about 1.5% have bad sender addresses, made up of mail from
a small number of regular correspondents and a couple of
scripts. (But the number of bad senders there will be
overestimated slightly because we assume all addresses in
domains which don't accept mail from <> to postmaster are
undeliverable.)

--
``Some people don't like an audience when they work. Enough of them have told
me so with blunt instruments that I'm a phrenologist's dream come true.''