[exim] Callback issues - vdomain w/external MX can not mail …

Author: Debbie Doerrlamm
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] Callback issues - vdomain w/external MX can not mail other users on server
I hope you can help me with this one.. I know it must be something I am
over looking, stupid and simple..

Dedicated server:
Fedora core 4 running Cpanel
Exim 4.52 with Spamassassin and ClamAV

Both are checked in the Exim conf screen in cPanel WHM:
Verify the existance of email senders.
Use callouts to verify the existance of email senders.

According to a thread I read at:
http://forums.deftechgroup.com/archive/index.php/t-1034.html
"Make sure you UNCHECK "Verify the existance of email senders.". If you are
running PHP without phpsuexec, mail sent by scripts and such will be sent
as the user "Nobody", which cannot be verified. It will cause you some issues."
So I am not sure I want to simply uncheck either of these options. I am not
running phpsuexec because a few of the apps on the server do not behave
well with it. I no longer have access to the VPS so I can not see what it
was set there

I just recently moved to this dedicated server, I was on a VPS running
Fedora Core 2 and the same versions of cPanel and Exim.. I had none of
these issues on the VPS, set the MX to the external servers and I was done.

1domain, 2domain, 3domain & 4domain all have their own external mail
servers in-house. 3domain & 4domain use the same mail external mail server

each of these 4 domains have NO users set in the mail section of the Cpanel
domain WHM, only the MAIN account that is created when the domain is created.

each have been set in the DNS zone to point to:
domain > MX > 0 > mail.domain.com
mail > A > externail.IP
mail.domain.com > MX > 0 > externail.IP

; Modified by Web Host Manager
; Zone File for 1domain.com
$TTL 14400
@       86400   IN      SOA     ns3.NSdomain.com.
me.off_server_address.com.  ( 2006062900
                                         86400
                                         7200
                                         3600000
                                         86400
                                         )

1domain.com.   86400   IN      NS      ns3.NSdomain.com.
1domain.com.   86400   IN      NS      ns4.NSdomain.com.

1domain.com.   14400   IN      A       64.79.202.XXX

localhost.1domain.com. 14400   IN      A       127.0.0.1

1domain.com. 14400 IN MX 0 mail.1domain.com.

mail    14400   IN      A       209.42.34.XXX
www     14400   IN      CNAME   1domain.com.
ftp     14400   IN      A       64.79.202.138
mail.1domain.com       14400   IN      MX      0       209.42.34.XXX

OK so here is where I have problems..
Mail sent from off server, passes through and arrives to the external mail
servers no problems.
Mail generated on the server from forms etc pass through and arrive at the
external mail server
Mail sent FROM any users from their external mail server TO another user on
the server (any domain) is rejected by EXIM.
This is a problem not only for my people to contact me, but 3 of these 4
domains have regular communication with other domains/users on the server

> > YOUR MESSAGE WAS NOT DELIVERED!
> >
> > Failed address: DEBBIE@my_domain_on_server.COM

{64.79.202.XXX}
> > Attempting MX: P=000 D=my_domain_on_server.COM TTL=(168)

MX=my_domain_on_server.com]
> {64.79.202.XXX}
> > Attempting SMTP connection to [64.79.202.XXX : 25]
> > Waiting for socket connection...
> > Socket connection established (192.168.0.1 : 3124 -> 64.79.202.XXX :

25)
> > Waiting for protocol initiation...
> > <-- 220-server.NSdomain.com ESMTP Exim 4.52 #1 Fri, 16 Jun 2006
> 11:30:57 -0400
> > <-- 220-We do not authorize the use of this system to transport
> unsolicited,
> > <-- 220 and/or bulk e-mail.
> > --> EHLO 1domain.com
> > <-- 250-server.NSdomain.com Hello 1domain.com [209.42.34XXX]
> > <-- 250-SIZE 52428800
> > <-- 250-PIPELINING
> > <-- 250-AUTH PLAIN LOGIN
> > <-- 250-STARTTLS
> > <-- 250 HELP
> > --> MAIL From:<USER1@???> SIZE=3920462
> > <-- 250 OK
> > --> RCPT To:<DEBBIE@my_domain_on_server.COM>
> > <-- 550-Callback setup failed while verifying
> <USER1@???>
> > <-- 550-(result of an earlier callout reused).
> > <-- 550-The initial connection, or a HELO or MAIL FROM:<> command was
> > <-- 550-rejected. Refusing MAIL FROM:<> does not help fight spam,
> disregards
> > <-- 550-RFC requirements, and stops you from receiving standard bounce
> > <-- 550-messages. This host does not accept mail from domains whose
> servers
> > <-- 550-refuse bounces.
> > <-- 550 Sender verify failed
> > --- End Transcript ---

So the way I read all this my server greeted the external mail server and
all was good until my server tried to verify the USER1@??? .. I
belive it is trying to verify USER1 as a LOCAL user because 1domain does
exist on the server.. but of course there is no such user here so it
bounces the mail.

I did several hours of reading and research and found the following repair:

You could try replacing it with
deny  !verify=sender
       hosts = !63.117.226.XX

http://www.exim.org/mail-archives/exim-users/Week-of-Mon-20060612/msg00057.html

I edited exim.conf through cPanel Exim editor and that made a bigger
problem.. All the mail created locally from forms etc for these 4 domains
never left the server, instead they were dropped into the MAIN account for
the domains. Since I didn't leave this edit in place for very long I am not
sure if it also stopped the mails from off server to these domains to be
delivered or not.. but I do know that I had to go in and manually click
SAVE for each of the 4 domains after I removed the edit from exim.conf to
get mail to go to all of them on their external servers.

I hope someone read all this so far and has some help for me.. please be
gentle, I am self taught, but not afraid to learn..

thanks
Regards,
Debbie ^v^ ^o^ //\o/\\ ^o^ ^v^ Webmaster - System Admin

webmaster@??? (AOL, CS or AIM NailGdsss - MSN Nailgodess)
WWWeb Services, Ronkonkoma, NY
631-981-1273  fax 631-981-7557
http://www.beautytech.com & http://www.beautytech.INFO
     for Professionals             for Consumers