Re: [exim] Can someone explain why I have to do this?

Author: Alan J. Flavell
To: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] Can someone explain why I have to do this?
On Fri, 30 Jun 2006, Troy Engel wrote:

> Alas, it's the same - root@???.

$ host -t mx bastille.fluid.com
bastille.fluid.com mail is handled by 10 mail.fluid.com.

$ host mail.fluid.com.
mail.fluid.com is an alias for yak.fluid.com.
yak.fluid.com has address 63.76.105.204

Looks to me like an MX record pointing to a CNAME.

RFC2181, at least, says don't do that. MX records should point at A
records, not CNAME records.

> I'm getting the idea it's some sort of weird MX loop having to do
> with DNS, but this is where I'm lost. :-/

I can't tell you exactly what's going wrong. Maybe some confusion
between what the public DNS says (to us out here when we query it) and
what your local hosts data says when *you* query it?