[exim] Can someone explain why I have to do this?

Author: Troy Engel
To: exim users
Subject: [exim] Can someone explain why I have to do this?
Not quite sure how to capture this is a short subject line. I have a
piece of software that wants to send nightly reports (Arkeia NetBackup),
but uses the secondary MX to actually bounce them rather than going
straight to the primary.

The originating server is set in my DNS like so:

   bastille  IN  A  63.76.105.90
             IN  MX 10 mail.fluid.com.

The email that is sent is from 'root@???', and it's being
bounced off my 2nd MX who's configured to allow relay from my internal
machines. No problem so far - bastille actually runs Exim in a relay
mode as well - to support a device that breaks SMTP protocol (i.e., I
have a bad bad device and need a dummy SMTP host to accept it's alerts)
- and it works fine in this regard.

Now when the backup tries to forward this problematic email to the
primary, the primary does a temporary defer on the email claiming a
remote sender verify doesn't complete; now, if I manually test both the
backup MX *and* bastille, a 'RCPT TO: root@???' comes
back with a normal '250 OK', no errors. To me that sure looks like a
proper sender verify.

The only way I can get the primary MX to accept and deliver the email is
if I have the hostname 'bastille.fluid.com' in the "domainlist
local_domains = ..." hostlist config in the primary MX - and I don't
know why.

Can someone explain what black magic is going on here and what I'm not
understanding?

thanks!
-te

--