Re: [exim] exim / storage mail users

Góra strony
Autor: Tim Jackson
Dla: exim-users
Temat: Re: [exim] exim / storage mail users
azzouz wrote:

> I want to centralise all data in a file serveur and want to have the
> mail service (exim and imapd) in another one.
> I want also have the mail users delocated in the file serveur. How could
> i configure the serveur mail to store the mail in the file server (nfs ?
> or other solution).

This rather depends what your file server is, if it already exists. If
it's a "black box" then it depends how it exports storage.

Some possible options:

- NFS as you mentioned - but be aware of possible mailbox locking issues
(maildir is OK IIRC)

- iSCSI

- fibre channel etc.

an important factor in the choice is how much money you want to spend.

iSCSI is a cheap and (relatively) simple way to export chunks of storage
from one machine to another. You can do it using all free/Free software
e.g. iscsitarget.sourceforge.net, with recent distros (e.g. RHEL4 +
updates) having iSCSI initiators included. Only works if you want to
export to a single machine though, unless you want to get into cluster
filesystems. (This isn't necessarily a problem; you could still have
multiple machines without cluster FS's by using multiple, separate
storage exports - if that suits your architecture)

Tim