Re: [exim] smtp_accept_max_per_connection_hosts?

Autor: Dean Brooks
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] smtp_accept_max_per_connection_hosts?
On Wed, Jun 21, 2006 at 09:33:25AM -0400, John Dalbec wrote:

> I've just run into a situation where it would be useful to have an
> smtp_accept_max_per_connection_hosts setting. Our spam filtering
> appliances are sending a large number of messages in a single
> connection. This is causing the incoming messages to be queued and
> skewing our delivery stats, which caused my boss to ask me questions.
> Any chance of an smtp_accept_max_per_connection_hosts option?

Shouldn't be a need for that option as it can be done through the ACLs.

For example, if you wanted to limit each connection for those
filtering hosts to only 5 messages per connection, you could use
something like this in your acl_smtp_mail ACL:

   defer set acl_m0=${eval:$acl_m0+1}
         hosts = +filteringhosts
         condition = ${if >{$acl_m0}{5}}

You'll need to use the defer clause (as opposed to deny) so that a
temporary deferral is given and the sending appliance will retry at a
later time. You could also add a "delay = 10s" to add a delay to the
whole process if you wanted.

Keep in mind that you may also want to adjust the following global
values as well:

smtp_accept_queue_per_connection
smtp_accept_max_per_host

--