Re: [exim] two stage virus scan

Author: Magnus Holmgren
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] two stage virus scan
On Sunday 18 June 2006 21:37, Marten Lehmann took the opportunity to write:
> Hello,
>
> >>2. It doesn't matter which virus scanner we are using. Each user
> >>(mailbox owner) must be able to disable the virus scan, otherwise it
> >>would infringe German law.
> >
> > That's true for spam, not viruses!!!
>
> not in all cases. Due to heuristic, there may be false positives
> (especially on broken MIME parts or so).

Now I'm curious: What exactly does the law say? Is it illegal to (actually or
potentially) throw away legitimate mail? Or is it illegal to (actually or
potentially) not deliver legitimate mail? (Unless the user volontarily
accepts the risk.)

> And in the end it is a
> licensing issue: You have to license the scan for every mailbox, so
> mailboxes not licensed cannot have a free virus scan.

This just feels *so* wrong. Isn't there at least some virus scanner with saner
terms around? One which doesn't force you to pass on mail that has already
been found to contain a virus because only one of the recipients paid for the
service?

From a more ethical point of view, I think the computer and internet society
has a responsibility to try to stop malware and other abuse instead of
profiting from it.

--
Magnus Holmgren        holmgren@???
                       (No Cc of list mail needed, thanks)