Re: [exim] Variables

Autor: Stefan Klatt
A: exim-users@exim.org
Assumpte: Re: [exim] Variables
hello jakob,

>>> looking at the spec, I'd say you can't, because they are not expanded.
>> Both? where is this information?
>>From spec.txt:
>|qualify_domain|Use: main|Type: string|Default: see below|
>
>Expanded options have a asterisk suffix on the type, e.g.
>
>|received_header_text|Use: main|Type: string*|Default: see below|

I need a doc for the doc...

>> And why?
>I cannot read Phil's mind (yet :), but I'd guess he thought it's not
>needed, so the performance hit is saved.

hmm.. on the one side i can read information like virtual and real
domains from a database

>> exim use qualify_domain for sending error emails. If i don't set
>> it it use the domainpart of the hostname.
>So what? That's quite common and usually . Mails servers often handle
>thousands of domains, and while mailer-daemon@???
>could/should be a valid address, mailer-daemon@??? is
>usually not. And I don't think it's correct to send mail from an address
>that does not belong to oneself. Anyway, the envelope sender of bounces
>is empty, so the From header address is mostly an optical thing.

On the other side i can't use an virtual domain for functions like
this....

It's inconsistent that i can read some information that belongs to
domains and his users from databases and i must use fixed data from exim4
config for other informations belonging to the same.
Now i have two different storages for domain configuration.
And people that can make administrativ changes to a domain databases must
have rights to change the exim4 configfile :-(
What about a petition for allowing database access for all variables ??
If anybody has performanceproblems... spezial variables uses only cached
database results.

>> Is there any other way to set the senderadress of an error email with an
>> query?
>Don't think so.

Thats really bad.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

Stefan Klatt

CaC
Stefan Klatt                Certified Warp 4 Engineer
Triftstrasse 9                Certified Warp Server Engineer
60528 Frankfurt                Enterasys Partner
                    Bintec Partner

Tel.:        +49-69-67808-915        email: stefan.klatt@???
Handy:        +49-172-6807809        2:244/1140@fidonet
Fax/BBS:    +49-69-67808-835         2:244/1144@fidonet