Re: [exim] Need to rewrite Reply-To: and possibly Sender

Author: Stephen Gran
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Need to rewrite Reply-To: and possibly Sender
On Fri, Jun 16, 2006 at 06:24:27PM -0700, Michael Gracy said:
> I know that most view this as the wrong thing to do, but I feel I have a
> decen reason why.
> I have a debian sarge box running exim4 configured with
> localhost.localdomain and sending to a remote smtp smarthost.
> Email from it sends just fine via the phpmail module that the web site
> uses.
> The problem is that some external smtp servers are choking on Reply-To:
> www-data@???. This is an obviously unroutable
> address.
> The From field is being populated correctly and the phpmail app does
> specify the
>
> I threw this into my update-exim4.conf.conf:
> dc_headers_rewrite='$h_from: = $h_reply-to:'
> Now I get in the header: Return-Path: <www-data@???>
> This gets me half way there. Now I just need to be able replace the
> www-data with the value to the left of the @.
> Any ideas? I am a complete newbie to Exim and am suprised I got this
> far.

Why not just fix your hostname resolution? Presumably your machine has
a name other than localhost. For local part rewriting, you can use
/etc/email-addresses.

For the exim specific parts of your question, I suggest follow ups to
the Debian exim mailing list. For the more general questions about how
to fix your hostname, I suggest debian-user@???.

Take care,
|  Stephen Gran                  | I haven't lost my mind -- it's backed   |
|  steve@???             | up on tape somewhere.                   |