Re: [exim] Waiting for Exim Banner

Author: Christoph Purrucker
CC: Dennis Davis
Subject: Re: [exim] Waiting for Exim Banner
> On Fri, 16 Jun 2006, Steven Wayne wrote:
>
>> From: Steven Wayne <swayne@???>
>> To: exim users <exim-users@???>
>> Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2006 13:28:17 +0000
>> Subject: Re: [exim] Waiting for Exim Banner
>>
>> On Wed, Jun 14, 2006 at 09:05:20PM +0200, Christoph Purrucker wrote:
>> >
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > I'm running exim4 for a while now, and it's really running
>> > fast. But some customers complain, that sending a mail via our
>> > server takes exactly 30 seconds before the connection has been
>> > established. I tcpflow'ed the connection with the following
>> > result: Two pairs of newlines will be sent during half a minute
>> > and after exactly 30 seconds the SMTP-banner shows up. Then it's
>> > going on fast.
>> >
>> > How can I find out, what's Exim doing during this pause? How can
>> > I stop this?
>>
>> In your exim.conf Look for:
>>
>> rfc1413_query_timeout = 30s
>>
>> and make it:
>>
>> rfc1413_query_timeout = 0s
>
> Note that a setting of rfc1413_query_timeout of 30 seconds was the
> default in exim-4.61 and earlier. So an explicit value may not be
> present in the configuration file.
>
> The default setting of rfc1413_query_timeout has changed to 5
> seconds in exim-4.62. I believe this change was made after some
> discussion on this list.

Thanks for all Your responses. Indeed it was a RTFM-question as I know
now. The confusion was, that I thought I already disabled Ident erlier by
commenting it out. Blame on me that commenting it out means wating 30s if
client drops ident-query silently (Debian Exim-2.5).

Sincerly,
Christoph

PS Sorry for my double-post. One was hanging at our moderator and I
thought he droped it. exim-user in digest mode is sometimes confusing.