Re: [exim] Option to replace recipient?

Author: Peter Velan
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Option to replace recipient?
am 2006-06-13 14:54 schrieb Philip Hazel:
> On Tue, 13 Jun 2006, Peter Velan wrote:
>
>> if one of my users misspells the receivers address, I could add the
>> correct recipient by means of "-Mar <message id> <correct_address>". The
>> wrong recipient is still queued for delivery and has to be removed in a
>> separate task. I could create a little script to combine this two
>> actions to a single one, but: Isn't there a more elegant way?
>
> No. It is not something that is commonly done, and therefore not worth
> packaging up. In any case, if someone misspells an address, the message
> is normally bounced immediately ("no such user" or "no such domain" or
> whatever).

You are right, it does not happen to often. The last such accident
happened yesterday and this was a little bit mysterious:

One of my users - <uwe@???> - intended to send an email to
<andrea@???>, but managed to enter the address <andrea@domain>.
So I got this:

> <= uwe@??? for andrea@mydom
> mydom.mydom.tld [212.114.84.48] Connection timed out
> == andrea@??? (andrea@???, andrea@mydom) <andrea@mydom> R=rr_dnslookup T=tt_smtp defer (110): Connection timed out
> == andrea@??? (andrea@???, andrea@mydom) <andrea@mydom> R=rr_dnslookup T=tt_smtp defer (-53): retry time not reached for any host
> mydom.mydom.tld [212.114.84.48] Connection timed out
> ... and so on ...

212.114.84.48 is *not* IP of our exim-machine but of the webserver.

The mysterious thing about this accident: no immediate bounce! I have to
wait for a regular non delivery notification.

Peter