Re: [exim] googlebox SMTP protocol violation: synchronizatio…

Autor: Ian Eiloart
A: Peter McEvoy, exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] googlebox SMTP protocol violation: synchronization error

--On 12 June 2006 23:12:20 +0100 Peter McEvoy <pete@???> wrote:

> Hi,
> a client has installed a goooglebox in his /29 , he's told it to use the
> exim box as smtp server, ive told exim to relay for its ip - but all it
> seems to do is...
>
> 2006-06-12 23:09:37 SMTP protocol violation: synchronization error
> (input sent without waiting for greeting): rejecte
> d connection from H=[84.23.9.218] input="HELO 84.23.9.218\nQUIT\n"
>
> Lots and lots of that..

So, it looks like the googlebox - whatever that is - is connecting and
immediately saying HELO and QUIT. Not much point in that, but it seems you
aren't losing inbound mail.

Do you force a delay on incoming connections? If so, you should exempt
friendly machines. If you don't force a delay, then there's a problem with
the googlebox. It should wait for a greeting.

--
Ian Eiloart
IT Services, University of Sussex