Re: [exim] Client SMTP keepalive methods?

Etusivu
Poista viesti
Vastaa
Lähettäjä: Jakob Hirsch
Päiväys:
Vastaanottaja: Chris Blaise
Kopio: exim-users
Aihe: Re: [exim] Client SMTP keepalive methods?
Chris Blaise wrote:

>> Note that the SMTP standard requires clients to wait at least
>> 10 minutes for the post-DATA response. If Outlook only waits
>> 1 minute then it is not compliant with the specification.
>> What a surprise!
> Well, no. RFC 2821 says SHOULD in this matter, not MUST.

and RFC 2112 says:

3. SHOULD This word, or the adjective "RECOMMENDED", mean that there
carefully weighed before choosing a different course.

The "valid reason" in this case is probably "we're too lazy to read RFCs,
but why should we care, we are big enough to make our own standards".

> I'm not saying I like it, but it's the reality I have to deal
> with...

Sure, we all do.
As somebody else proposed, you should try to decrease to scan time. 1 min
is rather long for sending mail from a MUA, people might get annoyed by
it.

I didn't look at the Exim code, but I guess it's not that easy to change
this in Exim, as it would comprise changing a synchronous behaviour to an
asynchronous.