Re: [exim] "protocol violation: synchronization error" from …

Autor: Toralf Lund
A: Exim Mailing List
Assumpte: Re: [exim] "protocol violation: synchronization error" from our server during callout verify by another

> I'm having problems sending to a server that appears to be running Exim [ ... ]
> The following sequence of (slightly rewritten)
> log messages should make it clear how the failure occurs:

Just after posting this, it occurred to me that I really ought generate
a log with *all* options enabled - I just added SMTP connection messages
to the default earlier. When I did, I got the same messages, but also

2006-06-07 13:39:12 ident connection to 192.168.0.186 timed out

I then disabled all "ident" connections via

rfc1413_query_timeout = 0s

and was actually able to deliver my message! So the synchronisation
problem appears to be a symptom rather than the real issue - maybe it's
just a result of waiting so long for the ident connection. Also, it
looks like I have a workaround now. I'll still appreciate it if someone
can give me more details on what is going on, though. Also, what exactly
are the consequences of disabling rfc1413 queries?

- Toralf