Re: [exim] Exim-users Digest, Vol 24, Issue 48

Autor: Chris Pattullo
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] Exim-users Digest, Vol 24, Issue 48
Terry Shows <terry.shows@???> wrote:
>         Just a history.  Spammers have been hitting me so hard that
>         concurrent
>         incoming connections were overloading my server.   Then
>         rejections were
>         overloading me on the outbound side.  Some servers were doing
>         the guessing
>         game, sending me 100 or more emails to different "guessed"
>         addresses on my
>         domain.  The rejections of these were blowing me away.

Have you tried implementing controls at the SMTP level to phase out
connections from these spammers? There are a number of methods that you
can use to detect spammers, log their attempts, and block any further
connections from them.

This can be done through rate limiting, DNS spam lists, ACL deny
host/network lists, local-part verification (to at least reduce some
bounce messages), as well as some work on your part to monitor the exim
logs and start blocking connections at the firewall from these people.

Hopefully some of these solutions can help in your situation...

Oh, and don't forget to report these networks to the rest of the
spam-fearing world to help other people in your situation, b/c once you
shut them out, they're going to take their crap elsewhere.

Chris