Re: [exim] Problems sending to a server with call-out verifi…

Autor: Toralf Lund
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] Problems sending to a server with call-out verification
John W. Baxter wrote:

>On 5/26/06 4:36 AM, "Toralf Lund" <toralf@???> wrote:
>

>>I've recently been having problems sending from the Exim setup at work
>>to a server that uses call-out verification. The receiver, probably also
>>running Exim says
>>
>>SMTP error from remote mailer after RCPT TO:<somewhere@???>:
>>host somewhere.net [1.2.3.4]: 451 Could not complete sender verify callout
>>
>>[receiver address and IP have been altered.]
>>

>Do your logs (on your incoming server(s)) show anything interesting at about
>the time of the send?

No, unfortunately not...

>Could you be refusing their callback connection for spam control reasons?

I suppose we may be doing that, but I can't see what exactly the
conditions might be. I can receive messages from the same server without
any problems. Or at least I think it's the same server (I'll have a
closer look later); there is actually a maling list involved here, and I
get all its messages, but I'm unable to post to it myself (after the
list was moved to a different server.)

I've also tried telneting port 25 our server "from the outside", issuing
the verification commands given in the Exim spec, and they seem to be
successful. I'm wondering what the spec means by "the remote hosts",
though. Does it contact the actual sending server, or the MX for the
domain part of the address? Also, could it somehow be using a different
port from 25?

>Note: somewhere.net exists (with whois showing a 1998 creation).
>"example.com" is safe for this sort of thing...most domains one might make
>up are not.

Right. I ought to have realised that. Maybe 1.2.3.4 is a valid IP
address, too...