Re: [exim] overall rate limiting?

Autor: listrcv
A: Peter D. Gray
CC: exim-users, Peter D. Gray, H. Wilmer
Assumpte: Re: [exim] overall rate limiting?
> On Tue, May 23, 2006 at 03:32:03PM +0200, H. Wilmer wrote:
>> Peter D. Gray wrote:
>>
> But when the mail gets to the stores, they kind of
> get slow. It would be nice if the smtp system on the
> mail stores knew its own limits and only accepted
> email at a rate it can handle, but that is not the case.

You mean the mail cannot be written to disk fast enough? What happens in
that case? I would just expect that this would result in an overall
slowdown until the spike has been handled.

For example, if I have a 1.5 GB file in memory and want to write it to a
disk, the disk might handle 40 MB/sec, so it will just take some time to
write the file, and the process doing it will have to wait.

Wow, you would have to have an internet connection with quite some
bandwidth for the storage system to be a bottleneck!

> I am routinely seeing mail rates of 60 per second
> for minutes at a time now, mainly spam.

Hm, can you deploy better SPAM protection?

Otherwise, you could use _slower_ machines to run exim on. Thus, you will
get higher load averages on them and use that to keep the data flow below
what the storage can handle :)

GH