[exim] Daemonising Exim

Author: Ian Eiloart
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] Daemonising Exim
Is there a way to start an Exim process listening for SMTP connections
without daemonising itself?

I'd like my Exim processes to run in the foreground, so that I can use Exim
with the MacOSX 10.4 launchd process monitor (or the OSX 10.3 watchdog
process monitor).

The requirement is this: "The only things that are strictly prohibited, …
are fork()/exit() combinations (including indirect methods, such as the
daemon(3) library call). A server which attempts to run itself as a daemon
in this way will seem to have finished running, potentially leading to
launchd respawning it, or disabling the service. "
    <http://developer.apple.com/macosx/launchd.html>

--
Ian Eiloart
IT Services, University of Sussex