Re: [exim] SSL/TLS connections not possible (Urgent)

Author: Nigel Metheringham
To: Yves Goergen
CC: exim-users, Sherzod Ruzmetov
Subject: Re: [exim] SSL/TLS connections not possible (Urgent)
On Wed, 2006-05-17 at 13:24 +0200, Yves Goergen wrote:
> On 17.05.2006 13:15 (+0100), Sherzod Ruzmetov wrote:
> > While youre e-mail client is connecting, keep an eye on your exim's mainlog,
> > see if it's reacting to it in anyways (which is unlikely).
>
> It does. Immediately after I click the Send button, this line comes up:
> > 2006-05-17 13:20:57 TLS error on connection from p54942341.dip0.t-ipconnect.de ([192.168.0.2]) [84.148.35.65] (SSL_accept): Not Implemented
> Nothing more. A bit later, Thunderbird reports the failure.
>
> > Then you most likely have a firewall issue. Check it out.
>
> I cannot imagine of any firewall issue. There is no filter between me
> and exim, ZoneAlarm would say something. But it worked before (to be
> precise: 2 hours ago on the old server setup) with the very same client
> computer and MUA.

As root, try
    /sbin/iptables -n -L

to check if firewalling has been set up on your box - many distributions
now set up firewalling as standard.

Additionally try telnet to port 465 and make sure something is listening
there.

Since you appear to be getting something out of exim on a connection I
guess you are not suffering firewalling problems.

So try running a daemon in debugging mode whilst attempting to connect
to it and see if anything useful comes out of the log there.

Additionally it may also be useful to try using smtpc to make
connections to that port with debugging info back from the process.
http://www-uxsup.csx.cam.ac.uk/~fanf2/hermes/src/smtpc/

Try opening up the permissions on the SSL certificates whilst testing.
Missing/unreadable certs can have very odd effects.

    Nigel.