Re: [exim] Sending e-mails to a remote location with the sam…

Página Inicial
Autor: W B Hacker
Para: exim users
Assunto: Re: [exim] Sending e-mails to a remote location with the same domain name
Harold Zwier wrote:

> I am setting up exim at the head office of a company whose domain
> name is (say) smile.com
>
> All mail for smile.com is received by this company's ISP, and exim
> running on the company mail server, retrieves all mail from the ISP
> (ie. mail addressed to _anyone_@???).
>
> The company concerned also has 2 sales people remotely located who
> have e-mail addresses sales1@??? and sales2@??? and who
> subscribe to their own ISP.
>
> I can easily set up 2 e-mail addresses at the company's ISP for the
> sales people, so that the sales peoples e-mails are not picked up by
> exim running on the company's mail server. The sales people can then
> retrieve their e-mails separately.
>
> The problem is that people at the head office cannot send e-mails to
> sales1@??? and sales2@??? because exim treats such e-
> mails as local. ie. the exim configuration has an entry:
>
> local_domains = localhost:smile.com
>
> ..and sales1@??? and sales2@??? don't exist on the local
> mail server.
>
> Is there a way of configuring exim so that any e-mails addressed to
> sales1@??? and sales2@??? are not treated as local
> addresses but are sent as remote addresses?
>
> While I have considered this problem from a particular perspective, I
> am open to a completely different solution.
>
> Harold Zwier
> Melbourne
> Australia

Running all traffic through an ISP's MX as well as your own
usually brings more grief than value. Better to go all one way,
or all the other, not mixed. A few remote staff need never be an
issue, really.

Speaking as one who has never had a mail environment that was
NOT primarily composed of folks at diverse locations, the tried,
true, and simplest solution, since you have a domain and are
running an MX anyway, is to treat your (several) ISP(s)
primarily as 'connectivity' provider(s), [1] ignore their MX
system, and:

- Set up your Exim MX on a fixed-IP with proper DNS entries,
most especially a valid PTR record.

- Add the POP and/or IMAP daemon of your choice (we like Dovecot
or Courier, in that order. YMMV).

- Optionally add a Webmail interface - but have a care that it
is reasonably secure as well as 'user friendly' (i.e. look
askance at php-based daemons - most have a spotty vulnerability
record.).

- Advise one and all how to configure their MUA and/or Webmail
to login and authenticate.

Done.

Local, remote, or on-the-road, you woudl have a bog-standard
Exim environment, optioned/acl'ed as you see fit.

All you ordinarily need to do to insure staff have access from
anywhere they can get connectivity - even by slow dial-up - is
to make use of the 'submission' port (587) with TLS
authentication, not port 25.

IMAP(s) and POP3(s) ports are far less often blocked.

IF/AS/WHEN a traveler or remote office finds even 587 and/or the
POP/IMAP ports blocked by an ISP or diverted to their own MX,
(GSM/GPRS/3G mobile handsets...) one CAN open non-standard ports
on Exim - but a decent Webmail system is easier to manage as a
'fallback'.

Optionally: Install and require PEM certs on local workstations
and sales staff laptops if you want staff to NOT be able to use
the corporate system from off-site / out-of-hours /
borrowed/cyber-cafe/home PC's.

YMMV, but Inmarsat use aside, once connected to the 'net,
'remote' is only a diff of around w00 - 400 ms - often far less
- between nearly any points you are likely to work between.

IRC fiber-optic cable designers have seen to that.

Bill

[1] Check your ISP ToS. IF they prohibit your running an MX,
then you need to upgrade the service / choose another provider,
whether relaying OR running a standalone MX.