Re: [exim] Sending e-mails to a remote location with the sam…

Author: Nigel Metheringham
To: Harold Zwier
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Sending e-mails to a remote location with the samedomain name
On Wed, 2006-05-17 at 18:09 +1000, Harold Zwier wrote:
> I am setting up exim at the head office of a company whose domain
> name is (say) smile.com

I'd suggest that for this sort of example its much safer to use
example.com as the domain - that won't clash with other people (or make
me wonder why you are sitting on a UK bank's domain - which is
actually .co.uk)

> All mail for smile.com is received by this company's ISP, and exim
> running on the company mail server, retrieves all mail from the ISP
> (ie. mail addressed to _anyone_@???).

Do you mean this literally - as in its delivered to a pop box or similar
at the ISP and then sucked down? If so I would really try and avoid
that... because you normally end up having to deduce mail addresses from
headers in that case, and sometimes it goes really horribly wrong.

The prefered method would be for your exim to be the main MX for that
domain.

> The company concerned also has 2 sales people remotely located who
> have e-mail addresses sales1@??? and sales2@??? and who
> subscribe to their own ISP.

Presumably they then have a mailbox there with their "real" address...

> I can easily set up 2 e-mail addresses at the company's ISP for the
> sales people, so that the sales peoples e-mails are not picked up by
> exim running on the company's mail server. The sales people can then
> retrieve their e-mails separately.

If your exim was primary MX then all their mail would come through it
too.

> The problem is that people at the head office cannot send e-mails to
> sales1@??? and sales2@??? because exim treats such e-
> mails as local. ie. the exim configuration has an entry:
>
> local_domains = localhost:smile.com
>
> ..and sales1@??? and sales2@??? don't exist on the local
> mail server.

... and then you could just add a pair of aliases:-
    sales1: real-sales1@???
    sales2: real-sales2@???

    Nigel.