Re: [exim] what is this "Failed to get write lock for"

Author: W B Hacker
To: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] what is this "Failed to get write lock for"
Phil Brutsche wrote:

> roos wrote:
>
>>Hi. I have noticed in logs :
>>
>>2006-05-16 09:27:46 1Fft0D-0002em-Kr Failed to get write lock for
>>/var/spool/exim4/db/name_of_the_transport.lockfile: timed out
>>2006-05-16 09:27:46 1FdqWa-0004ml-4i Failed to get write lock for
>>/var/spool/exim4/db/name_of_the_transport.lockfile: timed out
>

> I have found that it means that the disk(s) /var/spool/exim4/db resides
> on don't have the I/O capacity to meet Exim's needs... ie using IDE
> drives when you should be using SCSI.
>
> In my situation the messages went away when I put the hints databases on
> a tmpfs ramdisk - for me it wasn't critical that they be saved between
> reboots, and faster disks weren't an option.

I've been a SCSI fan since moving off SMD, but any
reasonably-recent IDE/ATA, even when run as software-RAID1
(ATACONTROL) on 1 GHz or slower CPU should be more than fast
enough...

- to support anything Exim *itself* can be asked to do over a
10/100 wire.

What else is that server being asked to do with the same resources?

Bill