[exim] smtp_accept_max_per_host value based on client IP

Author: Alex Dyas
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] smtp_accept_max_per_host value based on client IP
Hi,

We run Exim as a relay. Currently we have smtp_accept_max_per_host set
to 2 to stop our customers using up too many resources. However, we
also use the relays from internal machines for which we would like to
specify different values.

Doing a bit of searching I found this:

http://exim.netmirror.org/exim-html-4.40/doc/html/FAQ.html#TOC409

which suggests using the following config:

    smtp_accept_max_per_host = \
      ${lookup{$sender_host_address}lsearch{/path/to/file}\
      {$value}\
      {\
      ${lookup{${mask:$sender_host_address/24}}lsearch*{/path/to/file}}\
      }}

with a file such as this:

192.168.34.35:    4
192.168.34.0/24:  2

Firstly, can someone please confirm that this will indeed allow me to
specify different values for different IPs and ranges. That's certainly
what it looks like to me.

And secondly, why is there no "{$value}" at the end of the
"${lookup{mask.." line? Isn't that needed?

Thanks,

Alex.
--
-= Alex Dyas , UNIX , Interoute , Geneva =-