[exim] Macro definition in between ACl definitions

Author: Marc Haber
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] Macro definition in between ACl definitions
Hi,

according to spec.txt chapter 6.4[1], the following configuration
should be acceptable to exim:

begin acl

acl_whitelist_local_deny:
  accept
    hosts = ${if exists{CONFDIR/local_host_whitelist}\
                 {CONFDIR/local_host_whitelist}\
                 {}}

CHECK_RCPT_LOCAL_LOCALPARTS = ^[.] : ^.*[@%!/|`#&?]

acl_check_rcpt:
  accept
    hosts = :

  deny
    domains = +local_domains
    local_parts = CHECK_RCPT_LOCAL_LOCALPARTS
    message = restricted characters in address

begin routers

begin transports

begin retry

begin rewrite

begin authenticators

However, exim flags it as incorrect:
Exim configuration error in line 9 of exim4.conf:
error in ACL: unknown ACL condition/modifier in "CHECK_RCPT_LOCAL_LOCALPARTS = ^[.] : ^.*[@%!/|#&?]"

Is this misinterpretation of the specification on my part, or a bug in
exim?

Greetings
Marc

[1]
"Macros may also be defined between router, transport, authenticator,
or ACL definitions."