Re: [exim] Testing sending hosts open ports

Author: W B Hacker
To: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] Testing sending hosts open ports
Renaud Allard wrote:

> p0f isn't really a solution, just because windows tcp/ip stack is so
> messy that you cannot recognize or really differentiate versions. The
> only think you could tell is if it is a windows machine or not. Which is
> obviously not a good test.

This is digressing to mere noise.

A reasonably well-configured mail server can be on any OS.

So, too a badly-configured one.

IF/AS/WHEN a 'correspondent' arrives via properly-implemented
smtp protocols, with zero protocol violations, or 'few that are
critical'....

just handle the (compliant) traffic offered...

If NOT... NOT. Who cares what else that box is doing?

Spam/ham is a different issue.

What next? The snail-mail postman should show up with proof he
locked the windows in his house when he left for work that
morning, fed his dog, and doesn't heat with gas?

Bill